Monday, March 07, 2011

More Big Rain 3-7

I forgot to mention on Saturday Larry had a class he had to go to up in Nevada City and on the way home stopped in Auburn to fuel up and diesel was $4.25!  Appalling and that was one of the most reasonable places.  I guess another reason to be glad to be anchored back down. 

In 2004 when we first started our Full time RVing life diesel had climbed above gasoline.  One day when we were in San Diego we headed out in the morning and diesel was $1.89 and Larry thought he would fuel up on our way home....which we did but in a days time it had jumped to $2.23 and that was shocking!  Over $2 and we were talking about how it happened when we finally had a diesel truck and were traveling.  We are still glad we did what we did when we did it! :)  As things have happened as time has passed has just reinforced that stepping off the cliff was worth it.  Had to read that slowly I know...sorry.

By this morning we had gotten a total of two and a quarter inches of rain since this last storm started late Saturday.  At some point after 4 a.m. (I slit my eyes open to see the clock and I saw that much before closing them again) the heavens opened up...what a torrential downpour and lasted at least half an hour, maybe longer...I fell back to sleep.  Amazing rain we get here!  We got up around 7 and it was done raining, but didn't get very warm and was breezy.  My big journey today was to the mailbox and back.
The arrow is pointing at the gopher
poking out
I was at the kitchen sink this afternoon gazing out the window when I noticed something moving on the ground...as usual, but instead of just being a leaf or bird it was a gopher poking its head out of a hole.  It was busy doing something because I got quite a few pictures of it through the window.  They are busy putting up dirt piles all over the place...makes mowing a pain.  I think Larry might have put a little snack into its hole.


This picture was pretty good and the last picture is this one cropped so we could see it better



I'm reading "The Shell Seekers" by Rosamund Pilcher....these sentences gave me pause...something to think about and true when giving it some thought:
"She wished that she did not have to wipe the happiness from her Mother's face by telling her that Cosmo (a friend who lived in another country) was dead.  It ocurred to her then that people went on living until somebody told you they were dead.  Perhaps it was a pity that anybody ever told anybody anything."...


1 comment:

Juanita said...

Ok...this post I simply MUST comment on, Val!!

I don't know how many times I've said to myself how happy and thankful (grateful, actually), that Jim and I did what we did when we did!! We had traveled extensively after we moved to Shasta County, during my school breaks. Our plan was always to full time after I retired...but that didn't happen. Again, so thankful for that because it meant that I sold our home when the money meant so much to me, it gave me the independence I have now.

The years we did travel, were precious...from 1991 until he died in 2000. So, I am so happy we did what we did, no regrets at all.

The Shell Seekers remains one of my favorite books. I have come across many 'favorites' in the awful process of organizing all my treasures into my storage room and small (400 sq ft) park model.

Love your pictures!!

Love,
Juanita