Friday, August 20, 2010

Truck is halfway empty 8-20

Another day with a lot accomplished.  Upon the opening of the rental vans door it looked a bit tossed, but it was only the last bits that were loose, most everything else has been fine.  Larry's plan was to open the boxes as we unloaded them and put the stuff away.  It was a bit overwhelming at first because I have more cabinets than ever and didn't know yet where I wanted things, but it was soon figured out. 
This was the first time the Franciscan ware has been unpacked since we packed it in Chester, and there is plenty of room for it in the kitchen...it lived in the garage in Chester.  This is a 12 place setting of every plate and bowl ever made I think, plus serving bowls, platters and cups and saucers....it is neat to have a collectable that was made right in California.  One small plate was broke...first ever breakage in all our moves and oddly it was in the middle of a stack in the middle of the box.  This was my maternal grandmother's that was handed down to my Mom and then to me...it was used at quite a few Thanksgiving's over the years and is now within easy reach.

My bookcase had a broken bottom edge...it is just particle board and all the bouncing and vibrating caused it to crack up and fall apart...Larry performed surgery on it and it will be fine!  Oh, and the heat destroyed all of our lampshades...the glue softened and the material shrank back...they weren't expensive but I really liked them.  We have gotten half way through the truck, it was hot again today and when we ran out of energy we quit...about 6 p.m. early. 

So tomorrow the big things come in...the beds, couch, loveseat, Frig and more boxes.  We will probably get it all in the house tomorrow I'm thinking.  Also tomorrow our new gas range and dishwasher arrive and Larry will have to install them too. 

It is fun seeing all our hard work turn this dark, dirty place into a lovely warm cozy home...I am loving it!  Larry is thinking we won't move in for maybe another week or so because of all the carpet/vinyl smells and we still need to get some screens and some other stuff done...I want to get some large houseplants so they can start purifying the air...I had a couple of peace lilies in Fallon and they helped a lot.

Off to bed early again.  The days are getting shorter...the sun setting way before 8 p.m. now and the sun up after 6 a.m......we'll just be settling in and the leaves will start turning color!  I am looking forward to that...I love Fall!!!

No comments: