Monday, July 25, 2011

To the City today 7-25

For us the big city is Roseville.  We headed down there after a stop at the library.  We needed to get new towel bars for the bathroom, we made a stop at Costco where I insulted the clerk (says Larry) as she was checking us out... 

Costco was crazy busy, they run you through like cattle and I was studying on getting my transaction done and the clerk was babbling away about something.  At first I didn't realize she was even talking to us as they always chatter amongst themselves...she turned away and I said to Larry what is she babbling about and she heard my comment, and I guess she got her back up, but I still wasn't paying attention, I just wanted out of there.  Oh well.  It wasn't an appropriate time to talk about upgrading our card or whatever...we've gotten roped into stuff like that at other places and end up taking another hour to get out of the store....my blood sugar was dropping, I was hungry and cranky and if wasn't so crazy in there I might have gone back and apologized.  Oh well.
Then we had a lovely lunch at Chili's and then back up the hill.  Larry got all the new towel bars installed and then we hung out on the deck.  Oh, before we left I baked a chocolate zucchini cake....the recipe was from our neighbor in Chester.  I've had it for years and never made it...so moist and light and rich...yummy with vanilla bean ice cream.  So we had that on the deck, a most lovely afternoon.

The squirrels have been up in the Ponderosa Pines chewing and dropping the green pinecones.  You do NOT want to be hit by one...they are weighty and drop like rocks...it almost seems as if the squirrels are pitching them out away from the tree at you.  I don't know why they are doing it because it doesn't seem that they would be edible yet.












Yesterday the hummingbirds were in fine form...whizzing all over the place, fighting, chattering etc.  I may need to go out armed with a badminton racket.  Some do the most amazing buzzing speeding and weird sounds.  If I hadn't seen some of it I would never believe it was those little tiny birds doing those sounds.
The one on the right is scolding the one landing.



They get very indignant.

Heaven on Earth

No comments: