Monday, July 11, 2011

Cooler 7-11

It was my kind of day today...cooler so I could work outside all day and not feel like a hot tired slug.  There were plants I've been wanting to transplant and I have been waiting for the weather to cool down.  I had two pineapple sage plants in pots that I wanted to plant on my hillside planting spot and there were two salvia's in one of the garden flower boxes that had gotten big fast and they needed to go into the hillside area too.  They aren't generally eaten by the deer so they get to live outside of the fence.  Because the water runs off too fast I first had to make little rock retaining walls where each plant was going to go.  We had a pile of rocks that we had gotten out of the ground when we dug the holes for the rose bushes and they worked great.  Larry helped me haul them and then handed them too me as needed.  With it being cooler they all transplanted with hardly a wilt.  Now they should settle in before the next round of heat predicted in a week.  It looks nice.

I thinned my seedlings today and deadheaded roses, conversed on facebook and email and took pictures...of course.  I have a bunch I need to get catalogued and edited and then I'll get them posted.  The garden is just an explosion of color and the little birds are so fun to watch...the finches, hummers and another teeny tiny kind of bird that climbs right down into the sweet pea vines and gets bugs. 

Larry hacked out three of the oleander bushes that refuse to die with an axe.  It is the ony way to kill them, but it is hard, hard work and after doing three he is whooped.  He has 13 more!!!  If he doesn't die first he says...times like that I bet he wishes for a tractor. 

Oh, I forgot, it was windy today too...which is not good for tall flowers so I spent an hour or so tieing and staking up the dahlias, glads and we had to support a couple of the tomato cages.  It blew one of the zucchini plants over the edge of the box, but didn't break it  and I didn't put it back up there (part of the vine) and the leaves have slowly turned right side up and it wouldn't surprise me to see that it had pulled itself back up into the box by morning! :)

Another day like today is predicted for tomorrow...yay!  These last pictures are of a bouquet I picked the other day and all sides were so pretty I couldn't choose just one.








No comments: