Sunday, July 03, 2011

Catching up 7-3

soaking wet rose
Back on Tuesday we had torrential rainfall again and by the next morning had gotten over an inch of rain.  We have gotten close to double normal rainfall this rainy winter season.  We stayed inside and played games with Seth.  He is one smart cookie and did a really great job at Zonk...he knows the points, the counts and even plans his strategy...he's seven...it took me longer to grasp the game. 


the plants were just pounded down by the rain





Seth picked the yarn he wanted for his hat... a Christmas varigated yarn...I started Tuesday evening and finished Wednesday morning.  He is a slave driver.  Every time he caught me doing something besides knitting he asked me when I would be finished.  After it was completed he wore it all day...love that appreciation.



A very full Lake Shasta
Thursday we were up at 5 and on the road by 6.  Seth didn't get his eleven hours of sleep so that is what he did the most on the drive to Yreka.  We hit Yreka about 11:30...we had stopped for breakfast along the way.  Met up with Michelle and Darel, made the exchange and visited for about 15 minutes.  Seth was really glad to see them and they him of course.  We got sandwiches at Subway for the trip home and we were off.





Mount Shasta
We stopped along highway 89 for our picnic, it is just so beautiful up there.  We made it to Greenville about 4.  We had a car to look at...time for us to get a second car...it was a friends, we decided it would work for us ( I love it) and we headed for home.

I'm outside...its about 8:15 p.m. and we just saw the fox run down the road...it seems to do that every evening and now the doe and fawn are going through...animal kingdom here.

Mount Shasta
Our new car is a 95 Cadillac El Dorado, it is almost the same color as our truck with cream colored interior.  I never imagined owning a Cadillac and it is comfortable and handles like a dream...it is so clean and has low miles for its age. 


Where we had our picnic


Somewhere on 89
The drive from Greenville was pretty, we stopped along the way to eat the rest of our sandwiches.  There is still so much snow on the tops of the Sierras and the rivers and creeks are raging with snow melt.  I was really, really tired and driving at my least favorite time of day...dusk and not having driven after dark in a while...it was taxing.  The last 6 miles on twisting 49 was scary...I should have let Larry go first, his headlights were blinding me and I was at a different level to the road being in a lower car and it was hard to see some of the curves...I was glad to get home!  We put on another 650 miles. 
My pretty new wheels

Friday we went to town to DMV...spent an hour there, which I guess is pretty good by some standards and then on to Home Depot....again.  Larry is building a mega work table.

Yesterday we started out pruning and shaping up the fruit trees...they were getting out of control.  It has been hot here, in the mid 90's, which the garden is loving.  My glads are opening, the sweet peas are starting to bloom and I picked my first three zucchini. 

Today I washed the bugs and road dirt off the car and planted flower seeds...seems late but with the long gloomy winter I don't care.  I'll have flowers from them the end of summer and into the fall.  I planted the tall pinky cosmos, the smaller orange yellow cosmos and mixed bachelor's buttons, they are just happy flowers and make nice bouquets.  In this heat I have to water them quite a few times a day.

I'm sure there are a bunch of little stories I have forgotten, but it is wonderfully cooler now on the deck, almost dark and I have to go get a snack.  Until tomorrow......

my favorite rose bush so far, Tuscan Sun














zuchini



tomatoes

dahlia

zuchini

No comments: