Friday, February 04, 2011

Expanding My Veggie Horizons 2-4

My news for today is I cooked a real uncanned beet for the first time ever.  I have always disliked beets, my Mom always gave us canned...mushy strong yucky tasting things.  Larry and I have talked about adding more veggies to our diet but not being a lover of cooking and Larry not wanting to take it up I have stuck to what I know.  But this year I decided to get on with it and quit being a baby.  I saw these pretty organic beets at the store yesterday with roots and tops attached and decided to figure out how to cook them.  My best friend Mary, an incredible cook, told me her favorite way of cooking them and as it was so easy that is what I did.

Rubbed in olive oil, sprinkle a little salt, pepper and I used garlic powder...wrap in foil and bake for an hour...and they were really good.  In doing beet research online I decided to try cooking the beet greens too, in for a penny, I might as well go the whole nine yards (mixing my metaphors...makes Larry shake his head :).  I found an easy recipe for them, and we LOVED the beet greens.  Look out veggie world...next I am looking forward to trying rainbow chard...maybe even eventually brussel sprouts and turnips...ha ha.  The colors of the beet greens were so very pretty....a vibrant red against that deep green and the beet juice is stunning....art everywhere!  Oh, and I tried that crock pot, pot roast recipe...one package of Lipton's onion soup mix and a can of Coke...YUMMY!

Larry went to town today and came back with the rest of the deck railing redwood sticks and some stain.

I am wondering what is up with the bucks around here...they still haven't lost their antlers like I've read should be happening by now.  After they do I wonder if we'll be able to tell them from the does.  It seems a waste to lose them just to start growing them again.


Look at this pretty shining face!

No comments: