Sunday, May 10, 2009

Road trip 5-10

Today we were up by 7:30 and we had the trailer loaded and we were on the road by 9:30. We only plan on being gone a little less than a week so we just loaded up essentials, it didn’t take as long and we love all these empty shelves all over the place. The trailer hasn’t been this light since we brought it home from the dealer….smile! We had a light travel day, just 140 miles to Quincy. The last time we were here was in the fall of 07 and the price has jumped up again here at the RV Park. There is snow on the higher mountains still, but it was a pleasantly warm day…in the mid seventies and all the lilacs are in bloom.

I am finding my change of heart towards desert landscapes interesting. Ten years ago as soon as we left the trees and hit the high desert I would go on about how barren it looked, boring, etc. and always loved getting back into the forest. NOW, I feel closed in by the trees because I can’t see as much of the sky though I still love their strength and all that green but now I see so much beauty in the rocks, foliage and terrain changes of the desert. Maybe it is because living in a small space and getting rid of all the “stuff” except for essentials has given me a greater appreciation for the starkness and openness of the desert…hmmm.

We’ll be here less than a week and then we need to get back and finish rocking and planting our dust bowl.

Larry gave me a stunning bouquet of yellow/orange roses for Mother’s Day that actually smell like roses, I’ll probably get their picture tomorrow. He had a nice visit with his Mom and I had a nice visit with our girls on the phone today.

No comments: