Friday, May 01, 2009

Lining Up Our Landscape Ducks 5-1

Happy May! I hope those of you way up north are starting to see some spring! We were cloudy today, but in the high 60’s and it dripped a little bit this afternoon and evening. We took our three mile walk this morning and we got warm enough that we had to take our outer shirts off! The yellow headed blackbirds are back and nesting in an area we pass by on our walk…they are large birds and very vocal, one if these days I’ll take my camera and see if I can get a picture.

Today we studied on our design plans for the yards to see if we still liked what we came up with so far or wanted to make changes.

Larry called a concrete guy and he came out and gave us a very good estimate for our new patio and was very helpful with information that will save us lots of money in regards to who to use for various other jobs. We hope to get the patio done in the next two weeks or so and the concrete guy will also rip our lawn out and haul it off to the dump with the six foot square pad that has to be torn out by our back door. We found someone to buy road base from and they’ll spread it too…extra of course, but beats us having to do it!

Labor is always the biggest cost and we are cheap labor, so WE will be shoveling and placing about 25 yards of decorative rock ourselves…I am glad I have been lifting weights so I won’t be a complete noodle!

Everything has to be done in a sequence…Larry has to cap off all the sprinkler heads out in the lawn before it can be torn out, then the irrigation to the new planting areas needs to be trenched and piped, then grading, laying of weed fabric and then getting our rock put in where we want it. It’s our own fault though for wanting to be creative…if we just did one type of rock we could just get someone in a small tractor to spread it all, but NooOOOO, not that for us…..smile. We have to dig 3 humongous holes for the large juniper trees we are putting in the back yard and a lot of smaller holes for whatever plants we put in all the planting areas. Can’t wait to get it all done and see it!

Tomorrow I’ll try to get a photo of our plans on here so you can follow along with what I’m babbling on about.

Today I took the time to make some fresh blueberry-oat bran muffins, ran an errand and then played a bit of video game…Larry made me….he wants me to see how I like the new game he brought home this week.

No comments: