Thursday, August 25, 2011

ROBBED! 8-25

It started out a pleasant day.  We took our walk and as I usually do when we return, I went into the garden.  I was met with a disturbing sight...a cantaloupe where it shouldn't be...detached and away from the vines.  I went around the tomato plants and what I was afraid I'd see was a reality.  No, NO, N O!  Our first perfectly ripe cantaloupe had been wrestled from its vine and was half eaten!  ARGH!!! 

Last night I remember thinking that maybe I should pick it rather then leave it one more night, that it would be attractive to some animal, but I didn't think anything could get in to get it.  Wrong!  I was so sad that I didn't listen to my inner voice...dang it.  We don't know what animal it could be.  At night, the fence isn't squished, though we see holes at the bottom of the fence...in the fencing, not dug in the dirt and no fur and we couldn't see any prints.  A mystery. 

We were so very disappointed.  I do not make a good farmer.  I see why you have to plant way more than you need...so that you get your share and nature gets theirs.  Larry worked on fixing the fence bottom though we don't know if that is their way in.  I don't think either one of us are up to sitting out in the garden all night and surprising the wildlife.  I have much better luck with flowers, bugs I can fight.

It was in the mid 90's and will be for about 4 more days so hopefully the rest of the 'loupes will ripen and Larry will get to eat at least one.  I find them yucky.

I made yummy baked zucchini today in a large zucchini carved out and filled with sauteed onion, garlic, zucchini, spices, garden tomato, wine, bread crumbs and cheese.  It was really really good.  Love cooking these fresh veggies!

No comments: