Thursday, September 11, 2008

Cruising the Bay 9-11-08




Today we went for a cruise on the bay. Our friends Lou and Vickie have a 21 foot cabin cruiser. We left from Martinez Marina, it was sunny and breezy and the bay was a little choppier than they would have liked. Once we passed under the Benecia Bridges into the Suisun Bay the water was calmer. It is late again and rather than try to describe each picture I'll just mention a few highlights and you'll have to just figure them out.
We cruised by the moth ball fleet (retired military ships), which has greatly diminished numbers from what I remember seeing 20 years ago. They looked so sad. We saw a boat that was capsized on a sandbar and has been there a couple of years, we saw an old sailing ship with sails that was anchored way off in the distance and the last picture in this post is of the moth ball fleet as we returned to port and they looked so ghostly.
Lou & Vickie would have like for us to be able to anchor and stay out longer but it was too rough. I was extremely glad I didn't get seasick, not that it was THAT rough but I was a child the last time I was out in the bay in a small boat...at one point today I felt like it was trying to come on but I changed my perspective and that worked.



After we returned, Vickie and I spent the afternoon visiting while Lou and Larry went back to the boat to install a battery selector switch. They kindly allowed us to do our laundry. We had pizza for dinner which was great, Larry & I never think to have pizza when we are by ourselves. Tomorrow we will be visiting still with family.












No comments: