Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Bullard's Beach Treasures 12-11-07

Today was an overcast day and cold, but at least it was only slightly breezy and not windy.

My first order of business was to drive into Bandon to get a new hair dryer. Mine died after many years of faithful service, at least 10 and lately was pulled into service as a back-up room heater. It worked better that the space heater we had, BUT I couldn’t use the space heater to dry my hair and this time of the year air drying is NOT an option. My head would be frozen in no time. Tiffany’s Drug store had just what I needed and lots of things that I didn’t expect to find there, so I came out of there in a half hour with a whole bag of things. Lovely bath salts and bubbles for the baths I’ll be able to take at the house in Fallon and some wonderful aromatherapy all purpose cleaner I haven’t found since I had my own shop, so it was an exciting little shopping trip.

High tide was around 11:30 so we were waiting for that to hit before hitting the beach. We got to the beach around 1:00. We layered our clothing so we were comfortable out there in the damp cold. Oddly enough we were the ONLY people on the beach all afternoon, we’ve never experienced that before, and it felt kinda weird.

You’ll see lots of this huge tree stump/root natural sculpture in these pictures from different angles and as the tide went out it of course seemed to move up the beach. We loved it and wished we could get it into our backyard up in Fallon, it would take up a huge hunk of the landscape!

We walked almost to the lighthouse but we had been gathering beautiful rocks and fossilized shells and with about 5 pounds of rocks in my one pocket and carrying a few pounds in my hand we had to head back. Larry had been gathering too and on the way back as much as we tried to resist looking down, we kept finding another treasure and then another. We were pooped when we finally got back to the truck and thought our arms were going to fall off; but freaks that we are we went back for some more! Larry even lugged a huge, heavy piece of wood back to the truck, the one I found was lighter but longer and Larry found a really big agate. Our hands were blocks of ice with holding rocks instead of keeping them tucked into our pockets…oh yeah THOSE were filled with rocks. This was a really nice beach of treasures! We were too tired to hang around for the sunset. We wanted to get back and get warm and eat! It was a very refreshing afternoon for us and we had great fun.

What are we going to do with all these rocks you ask? Hmmmm, I guess I’ll have to let you know when I figure that out. At our house in Chester I had the concrete guys put the rock collection I had at the time in the edge of our patio and it turned out really nice and was fun to look at. So who knows where all these beauties will turn up? Christmas gifts? Tee hee.

No comments: