Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Happy Summer!

This is a lovely place to wake up to. We had the window open all night and as the sun came shining in our window there was the serenading of song birds and the rhythm of crickets. No trains, planes or automobiles. I guess I’ve gotten used to the rooster, because I never hear him at sunrise. So very peaceful!

We started the day with yoga, breakfast and then hit the road. We took 14A from Sturgis to 385 and took that to 44 into Rapid. It was a lovely drive. We stopped at the Thunder Falls. It was interesting, but they charge a lot for these things up here. We saw Carlsbad Caverns for $6 a piece in New Mexico and to walk 600 feet into a mountain along a river was $5.50 a piece plus tax! Some of the caves and mines around here charge $8 and up per person. Adds up fast! This was interesting to see. The miners had carved this mountain out 600 feet when their last blast opened up this river that came crashing through and put the end to their following their vein. An amazing amount of water flows through there!

We had a picnic lunch and enjoyed the wildflowers and fresh air. Absolutely NO SMOG. We ended back in Rapid where we went to Safeway for groceries, fuel and my Starbucks fix. Back home by 4. A lovely first day of summer! I have some awesome pictures I took last night of clouds at sunset, but I’ll have to wait till they get that photo uploading problem fixed. I’ll have to go back and add my photos later!

No comments: