Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Scanner days

Here is a "pre-script": this server is having problems with their photo uploading, so no photos. They better get it fixed soon, or I'm on to somewhere else!

Monday we got up and did minimal yoga. We started out with hair altering. I cut Larry’s and hid the gray in mine. I am getting better and better with those clippers. Interesting though, his hair keeps getting shorter and shorter!

Lar started work on installing the scanner in the truck. He used a piece of leftover wallboard from the trailer remodel and spent awhile making a template. He has to redo our center console for the scanner and we MUST have cup holders, so he designed a cutout that will hold the scanner and has two cup holders. As he is the perfectionist artiste of radio installers it will look wonderful when he is done. Will look like it was always there! So it was design day. I helped come up with something to be our cup holder at the bottom of this gizmo. I putsed around on a drawing I am doing. I continually wonder why I keep trying to be an artist, I am totally frustrated with my endeavors most of the time, my biggest problem is I don’t practice enough. That needs to change, but I’ll stare at my supplies and then find something else to do…like clean the toilet or something else equally important! Weird. I’ve been trying to overcome this odd procrastination problem for a couple years, it is like I don’t want to mess up the paper or something!

So back to the importance of scanners. The one Larry put in the trailer has weather alert on it and we both felt we really needed one in the truck too, for when we are out and about and towing. No matter what channel it may be on, if there is a weather watch or warning released the scanner sends out a bunch of obnoxious tones to get your attention and then you get to hear the message. It is very nice to have, especially since leaving the west coast. In Yuma winter before last the warning gave us time to get everything put away before a violent thunderstorm came roaring through. Last night after dinner it popped off with a thunderstorm warning for our county and sure enough there was a REALLY big cloud where there hadn’t been one before.

The bulk of the storm went around us, but the thunder and lightning we did have was really impressive. Quite a few multi-pronged down strikes. The thunder shook and rattled everything. It went on into the wee hours of the morning. We got heavy rain and the light show was phenomenal. The lightning flickered several miles off for hours. It was like looking at your neighbor’s house with their drapes pulled, but you can see their TV flickering across the drapes. It was just constant and every once in awhile you would see the bolts in the oddest formations, twists, circles, etc. Mother Nature’s show is hard to beat! I’m not set up to get still photos of lightning but I did catch a cool one on video! It was hard to sleep with all that going on.

Today it is sunny and we took a walk to the top of the hill again. It was difficult cause this mud sticks really well and we had masses of it stuck to our shoes. Looks sandy when it is dry, very deceiving. The pictures are of the wildlife we saw. This butterfly was fun to watch and the wild turkey we noticed when I had to stop to rest. She had babies with her and she was trying to coax us along away from the brood. We saw deer, elk and raccoon tracks in the mud, but never laid eyes on one. Lar spent today finishing the scanner installation and I mucked around in my pastels and enjoyed our peaceful surroundings.

We have a chance of thunder storms tonight so I am trying to get this entry done before another storm. We loose satellite when these clouds full of ice and rain come through. Blocks our signal. Chores are done and the toilet is really clean…so tomorrow should be a field trip day. We need groceries too so we’ll definitely go somewhere!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Big Girl.... Keep the blog comming. Need the stories with my morning coffee. Uncle :)