Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Bruneau Dunes SP, Idaho 8-29-07

The last few days were pretty much the same. Larry would get up before 7, head out to Helibase, and come back for a few hours to take care of stuff here at home and then head back out until 8 or later. I just did my usual, which to most of you would be extremely boring, so I’ll not bore you with the details.

We didn’t have smoke at the RV Park until yesterday. I will say that McCall is OVERLY impressed with itself. Very expensive and unless you have a boat on the lake, the town doesn’t have much to offer except a lot of inflated prices, from lodging to fuel. The Super 8 was $144+ tax and our site at the RV Resort was $50 a night and was the only game in town. They picked up our garbage (big whoop), and they had a pool and a big lodge, but big deal. They didn’t have tables at each site which for that price I would think they would have! We had checked out the State Park, but the sites were really tight. We did have a good dinner last night at a Mexican restaurant in town, but it was the first time that we paid $8 for one enchilada, rice and beans…amazing.

Yesterday we did laundry, went to the store and the post office and tidied up….ah, I think we fit a nap into our day too…tee hee.

Today we headed out a bit before 10, south on 55. It was so smoky I didn’t bother taking pictures, plus I had taken enough when we had headed north a couple weeks ago. That Payette River is something, there are huge, long stretches of heavy rapids where it just looks like the inside of a washing machine at high agitation, then it smoothes and widens out looking placid and then whammo, rapids again. I’m sure there are some fools out there that have tried to raft or kayak it…fools I say.

So we hit 84 east from Boise and before we hit Mountain Home we had stopped at a Rest Area for a bathroom break and snacks. We came out of the trailer and Larry said, “Isn’t Arizona pretty”. And sure enough he was right, it did look like we could have been in Arizona, or Nevada or New Mexico or Texas or South Eastern Colorado or North-eastern Calif., or Eastern Oregon, or Eastern Washington…I may have left out a few! Amazing, but true!

We fueled up in Mountain Home and then headed south on 51 and we are currently at Bruneau Dunes State Park. There is a big sand dune here and they claim it is the tallest one in the States. We find it hard to believe, there is one in Nevada that looked bigger. Larry offered to hold the bottom of the tape measure if I wanted to take the other end to the top…not. I told him to just hike his little GPS…GPs to the top and measure it himself…he declined.

We got here around 2:30 and we traveled 181 miles today. We have power and water here and with tax our site cost us $21.20. Idaho taxes everything!!!! Idaho is a nice place to visit, but I don’t think it is at the top of my list. It does have the prettiest rivers.

No comments: