Monday, January 03, 2011

My Moment 1-3

This is the way it normally looks.
This morning, like most mornings, Larry and I sat in the living room and had our breakfast.  When the sun is out it is a lovely sun room and we basked in the sun today.  There had been a heavy mist outside this morning so everything was wet. 

It wasn't until I was about to get up and get going on my day that I really noticed what was happening outside.  Our already beautiful country setting had been transformed.  From the morning mist there were drops of water hanging on the wire of the fencing, from branches and leaves.  The air was moving just enough for all the drops to dance and shimmer in the sunlight.  As far as I could see, through the window from my seat on the couch, was a shimmering dance.  The sun had transformed all the drops of water into twinkling, flashing rainbows of light.  The dark branches of the oaks, the bushes and the fences all became a mystical fairyland.


So you can see how wet everything was

It was one of those moments to just sit and enjoy the show.  As always I thought of getting my camera, but I knew I would miss precious moments of the fleeting show.  I would have focused on getting the shot and lost the magic I was experiencing.  If I was a brilliant photographer I might have gotten the settings all perfect on the fly, but I knew from experience that the shot wouldn't turn out as great as what I was seeing with my eyes.

I learned a few years ago that in seeing the shot through the lens of a camera you miss experiencing the moment.  It is great to freeze a moment in time, a teeny tiny piece of a greater scene, but sometimes it is better to just absorb the beauty.

Every drop was a little mirror...millions of them.


I sat relaxed in the sunshine...my tummy full, invigorated from our brisk morning walk....just looking on in awe, being dazzled by nature's twinkling fleeting spectacle of light.  I found myself in a zone I had never experienced for I was thinking that if I were to die right this moment I would die happy and with no regrets.  Wow, this is heaven.

And then a big ass cloud blocked the sun and the show was over....it was back to being just a wet landscape.  Off I went to wash my hair and get busy with my day.  Love the moments!



Yesterday's masterpiece, a watercolor

Today's unusually still birds, even their topknots were still.

The quail are always moving, it was strange to see them still.   Look how this guy is fluffed and he's sunk into his feathers, cute.

No comments: