Thursday, July 12, 2012

Another day in the country 7-12

Couldn't see the other side of the canyon this morning.
Woke up to smelly smoke, there was an inversion and a change in the wind.  The Robber fire that broke yesterday in the woods between Foresthill and Colfax continues to grow.  The terrain is really tough and they have lots of people and equipment there and still arriving.  We had a little fire in Cool today that had Air Attack circling over, a tanker and a helicopter, but it was determined that it was small and the ground crews could get it, so some excitement.


The fire Larry is on is still growing and they were burning near where the helicopters are stationed to protect it, so lots of ash.


This afternoon I was taking out the garbage and there in its poisonous beauty, stopped in mid slither was a rattlesnake, a smallish one and as tempting as it was to squirt it with the ammonia I had in my hand I resisted, backed up and went for the shovel.  By the time I got back it was gone.  I had to run inside for my hikers to protect my tootsies and then I went back and moved out the mower and moved the garbage can but I never did see the little bugger again.  I did water the garden in my boots and with the shovel though :)  I am always on the lookout, especially in this heat, but I would rather never spot one.  I actually think they are pretty...I love reptilian patterns, natures artfulness.



The spire was broken off but this one lone flower blooms on.


 I'm pooped, this living alone is a lot of work!  Tomorrow is awaiting...I'm turning in.
The leaves disappeared off this branch overnight.

I pick up the half eaten dropped plums from under
the tree and throw them out in the meadow for the deer,
but the birds had a great feast on them.


He was hiding behind the leaf so he wouldn't be recognized.


No comments: