Thursday, October 20, 2011

Lessons of Sisters 10-20

I am an observer....I don't find that I have to do everything everyone else is doing....I only participate in the things I know I will enjoy and not kill me.  Eating dessert is enjoyable, but too much might do me in before this visit is over.

Take my sister Lori for example....she loves her exercise.  She loves, loves, loves working out at the gym and feels incomplete if she misses going and subjecting herself to her favorite forms of torture.  She feels the pain strengthens her and builds character (I don't know if she really feels that way, but it sounds good).  Me...I feel the pain and I am so done with it....you have heard my opinions on exercise before so I'll spare you from hearing them again.

The greatest thing I have learned from being with an exerciseholic is that when they don't have that activity to occupy them they then go to far the other way.  I didn't know this about my sister before spending the last two weeks with her...but she has a serious, serious eating problem.  She loves food, eating and cooking, which is why she goes to the gym she says.  She's been to the gym only once since I've been here and in this time together I have lost count of the bowls of ice cream and pieces of cheesecake she has consumed and she has taken me down with her.  I may have to buy new clothes to return home in and forget the chicken and rice diet I was sure I would be on upon my return...I now will have to go to water and air.  I have the will power of a gnat, but even I reach a point where I know I have to put down the spoon.

To illustrate the sickness....this is what we shared after dinner at Olive Garden (in our defense we had soup and salad)...I ate about a third, she had the rest, pumpkin cheesecake with an entire can of whipped cream AND caramel syrup.


On our way home from dinner, we, along with friend Jennifer stopped at the market as Jen has company coming and had to pick up a few things.  As we all met up at the checkout Lori noticed Jen's three half gallon cartons of ice cream in her basket. Lori looked at me standing in line with my box of Earl Gray tea and exclaimed how could I have been at the ice cream freezer and not picked up any ice cream!  As she scolded me I shrunk into an apologetic ball....Lori I said...I would be happy to hold those two bottles of wine for you if you want to sprint back there and pick up a few gallons of coconut chocolate chip ice cream that you claim we have to have.  Well do you want any?...she asks.  No, I said...cowering with the two bottles of wine crossed in a protective X above my head (she is very tall).  I said...I can't eat any more...please, please don't make me...I just want tea.  She huffed a minute but the angry red melted out of her face and we went on through the checkouts and exited the store.  Whew...that was close.

As we entered her town and were driving by the pizza place where her daughter works ...she exclaims...CHEESECAKE...SHOULD I STOP FOR CHEESECAKE?!!!   I grabbed the steering wheel and hollered...Lori, Lori...get a grip!  WE MUST STOP THE INSANITY!!!!  (I'm sure we will be consuming something evil again tomorrow)

The moral of my story....never, never start going to the gym....it starts a dangerous cycle and creates a monster in some people!  This I have learned from the observations of the past two weeks.  Love ya Lori...hahaha.

2 comments:

jpgraham said...

Val, I have found comfort in knowing that, FINALLY, someone understands what I go through each and everyday! At 5 feet 4 inches, and Lori as a BFF, I have no chance of EVER being a normal body weight. Maybe I could go home with you?

Lori Campbell said...

Still laughing over this, uh, somewhat one sided post!!