Saturday, December 19, 2009

Catching up 12-19

Started our day with a walk again. Today was the first day I didn't limp through most of it since we got here. It takes me a few days after traveling to get the muscles around my hip stretched out again...they do not like sitting for hours and days.

I spent about an hour on the phone catching up with Michelle, my youngest...which is an unusual amount of time...she is usually so busy. I figure the only reason she spent so much time talking to me today was because her husband Darel was at work and she had no one else besides 5 year old Seth to talk to and she sees him every day...laugh. I talked to my sister Lori for a bit and caught up with Andrea later in the day....free minutes on the weekends!!!

I don't know what the heck I did for most of the day...oh, I did a load of laundry and messed around on the computer. Larry sat in the sun reading for over an hour...so now his tan is refreshed...that is all it takes for him.

We decided to run into Alamogordo and scope out how busy the mall was the weekend before Christmas. Now mind you it isn't much of a mall...the smallest JC Penney we have ever seen (and we have seen small ones in Ukiah and Susanville) on one end and K-Mart on the other, with a Beall's in the middle, a few food stands, a Maurice's, a Hallmark and some small little shops that look like they are occupied right now just for the holidays.

While most people would avoid the mall's unless they had shopping to do this time of the year, we enjoy going and people watching and looking at the decorations. We are done with our shopping so we don't have to fight the crowds. Alamogordo is a quiet, lowkey town and the people are all so pleasant, no one was rushing around and it wasn't as busy as we expected.

We checked out the library and discovered it is a city library, not part of a county system. As visitors we would have to pay $15 for a card and could only check out 3 books...jeez, we would be back there every other day. We've had library cards in Yuma, Washington, Fallon and California and some are very generous and some very stingy to visitors. One county in Oregon wanted $50...wow. I guess they have people not returning books. We enjoyed the Yuma library a lot because they had an extensive paperback section. There are some people that believe libraries are extinct, but they haven't been to one in twenty or so years, because every library we have been in has been remarkably busy.

We stopped in at a real estate office and met a very nice man who is a very helpful agent and didn't want all your information before talking to you...a nice change.

Apparently I will have to find yarn during our travels and internet shopping. I miss my piles of yarn that I put in storage, but I figured food and clothing would be more useful in the long run. No craft shops here in town and the Walmart's yarn selection is small and basic, a check in the con column for Alamogordo! You can find lots of chili pepper wreaths and swags though!

I guess that was our day...funny how by the end of a day I can't remember what I did, its just that most of it I don't think is fascinating enough to talk about.

No comments: