Thursday, August 20, 2009

Hummingbird Whisperer 8-20

Tomorrow is our last day here with Seth unless he decides to stay another day. We have been busy, busy, busy…mostly playing video games and playing in the pool. It has gotten hot here again and our Oregon boy doesn’t like the hot sun at all…unless he is in the water. Must be from living in all that rain!

I had the coolest nature experience ever today. A hummingbird that regularly visits my flowers in my backyard and sits and rests on the top of a wire art sculpture let me touch its breast! It was sooo strange and wonderful. It just sat and watched me and blinked every once in awhile as I moved closer, and with each step I took I expected it to fly off, but it just sat there and watched me. So I thought what the heck and raised my hand slowly and while expecting it to take off every second I kept moving until my finger was nearly touching her and then I carefully and lightly stroked my finger down her breast and she didn’t even flinch, so I touched her again and then I moved my hand back and she simply flew up and then drank from some flowers and buzzed off. I was in awe of the whole experience, and of course I was camera-less and Larry was in the house with Seth. I thought who would believe this?!

So I ran in the house to tell Larry and then I had to call my friend Mary and tell her and then I saw my hummer friend was back in the backyard and as I went out the door it sat again on the wire sculpture and looked at me, so I thought let’s see if this was a fluke. Out the door I went and moved up to her and touched her again and she fluttered away and came back…for a minute I thought she would actually sit on my hand…maybe another time…..but this time Larry was at the door and saw the whole thing….pretty amazing.

When we lived in Redwood Valley, Ca. we were in the migratory path of many varieties of hummingbirds and we would have 30 or 40 all over the place feeding at our feeder and it wasn’t uncommon for one to come hover at my head while I was working in the backyard to let me know the feeder was empty and they would start feeding before I could even get the feeder hung back up.

But here I don’t have feeders out because of the heat…I don’t have a shady place to hang it so it doesn’t get boiling hot in the sun….but I frequently have two visitors to my red salvia plants in the backyard and they love to sit on my wire goddess sculpture and they are used to me being out there puttering around or reading a book and I usually talk to them. But still….hummingbirds are just the most amazing little creatures and for one to sit still long enough for me to touch it…multiple times and not mind…..magical!

I think I posted a picture of the little gray hummer a month or so ago sitting on the goddess, …today’s friend was my green visitor. I’ll try and get her picture soon.

No comments: