Monday, June 01, 2009

Figuring out the irrigation 6-1

Today we worked on figuring out the best way to irrigate our plants. We laid out two soaker hoses in the backyard and then went to town. I got a latte at Starbucks and then we went to Ace hardware for dripper stuff. The man there was very helpful.

Then after getting home we were studying on the large bed in the front yard and it was giving Larry fits because I had put more plants in the bed which messed with his irrigation plans…and I had put dry loving plants next to plants that needed more water…but that was when I thought he was doing individual drips…but with all the plants I had put in he told me it would look like spaghetti in there, so he decided to use a soaker hose…they don’t fail as often as drip emitters can, which in talking to different people is a problem and in this dry, hot area, deadly quick for plants.

So I moved the need little water plants together and put all the (6) extra plants in the back bed by the patio which is already laid out with a soaker hose. I haven’t taken the time to look back in my blog because I can’t remember when we planted the plants but they all have their new little white roots growing out from their root balls.

Larry fussed around with the water system most of the day and we have almost drowned the plants testing, but tomorrow he will probably have it finished.

The last few days, every afternoon the thunderstorms build up and by evening it is raining…very unusual for here, but good for my plants. It is just making it hard to get the water timing figured out; not to mention it gets cold,…. getting acclimated to this heat and it turns on us…I know…poor, poor us.

Most every day we have had at least a couple people stop and tell us how much they like our yard! It is very gratifying…maybe it will start a trend…I know lawns keep the temperature down a couple of degrees, but the water and chemicals needed to keep it healthy are wasteful and expensive. People can plant groundcovers and plants for the green and use so much less water! It is the desert for crying out loud!

That was our day; work for Larry, discussion and compromise but whatever it takes to “Get’er Done”.

No comments: