Thursday, May 22, 2008

Great Muffins! 5-22-08

Today’s high was a whopping 59 degrees, what a difference from a few days ago! It was also cloudy and windy. I had to pull on my knit cap for our walk this morning so my ears wouldn’t freeze off!

Yesterday we went to Minden to visit my Cousin’s Pat and Mike. They’ve lived there 4 years now and this is the first time they have been home when we have been able to get over there. They are RVer’s and are on the road a lot. Minden is only an hour and a half from us here in Fallon. Minden, Nevada is settled right at the base of the Sierra’s and the views are stunning. We had a great lunch and visit! Did I take any pictures? Nooooo…….jeez.

I decided we needed healthier snacks and I found this great muffin recipe. I have been changing it up…adding raisins to the recipe and then today I substituted pumpkin for the apple and added dark chocolate chips and raisins….YUM! The recipe is easy if I’ve already made 3 batches in two days! Thought I would share it with you.

APPLE & OAT BRAN MUFFINS prep:12 min, cooking:18 min. 124 calories

1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup oat bran
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 cup buttermilk
2 egg whites

2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
3/4 cup peeled, shredded apple

In a medium bowl stir together dry ingredients (1st nine), set aside.

In a small bowl combine buttermilk, egg whites and oil. Add to dry ingredients, stir just until moistened. Stir in shredded apple. Store batter tightly covered, in refrigerator for up to 5 days.

To bake, spray muffin cups with nonstick spray. Spoon batter into each of 12 cups. Bake at 375 for 18 to 20 minutes or till a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Makes 12 muffins.

124 calories, 4 g protein, 22 g carbohydrate, 3 g fat, 1 mg cholesterol, 162 mg sodium, 162 mg potassium
From Better Homes and Gardens New Dieters Cook Book

No comments: