Saturday, August 11, 2012

Another Honor for Dad 8-11

Awhile back Glynn Martin and Cliff Armas came up with the idea of memorializing the location of my Dad's beginning of his end.  Where my Dad Ian and his partner Hettinger made the stop and where they were kidnapped from.  Glynn was tired of always hearing about Powell and Smith in the news, so though the articles about this honorable event make it sound like the local county Supervisors did this, I am here to tell you otherwise.  They were part of the machine that needed greasing to get the signs posted on city streets and of course had to be center stage, but that is the way of things.  I was supposed to say a few words but the supervisor never gave me a chance...rude of him.  I didn't have much to say, but I was robbed I tell ya!


It was a very nice presentation made special by Captain Girmala being there, we like her a lot, the playing of Amazing Grace by the LA Police Emerald Society Pipes and Drums and the attendance of the current officers of the unit (wrong word but you get the idea) my Dad was in.  They stood in two rows at attention through out the presentation.  The Captain gave me an opportunity to meet the officers and I went down both rows shaking each officers hand and giving them my thanks.  Such an honor for me to be able to make contact with some of LAPD's warriors and know that most were genuinely glad to be there.  Cliff was one of the pipers which is always special and along with the sign, Glynn graced me with a lovely bouquet of red roses.

James Ellroy gave a moving tribute to my Dad and Larry and I enjoyed meeting and talking with the author before the ceremony.

At the end of this post I'll put in a couple of links to articles that had pictures.

Glynn had wanted this to happen earlier in the year, and even earlier in the day, but at least it happened.  Larry and I weren't sure we were going to be able to make it with fire season taking off this year.  He was still here on Wednesday and after getting a revised time of the ceremony from Cliff it lit a fire under us and we decided to go.  

Of course old Murphy jumped in and Larry's  trailer did get requested to the fire up in Lassen Park, so I contemplated making the drive by myself, but Larry really wanted to go too, so he and his boss came up with a plan.  Larry drove out of here after 5 P.M. taking his trailer up to Quincy, dropping it with the boss man and then driving home...he was back by midnight.  Thursday morning we were on the road by 8 a.m. for L.A.  We took the truck which is more comfortable for the long hauls then the caddie.

Cliff was gracious enough to have us stay with him...he was home alone...the wife and son were busy elsewhere.  We got to his place about 5:30 and after he got home from work he took us to a mexican restaurant in Placentia that was THE BEST ever mexican food we have had anywhere...even Mexico!  I love enchiladas verde and the tomatilla sauce was home made as was everything we ate and made well and tasty!!!  YUM.

Thursday morning we were able to relax and catch up with Cliff and then we followed him to the location of the ceremony...which made it nice for us...just follow through the traffic and interchanges...the route and stress was all on him. :)  

We were heading out of Hollywood at 2:30 for home.  Horrible traffic until Santa Clarita and then again south of Buttonwillow...road construction there and it took about 5 miles of crawling to get two lanes down to one moving lane and boy howdie was it HOT out there. We saw 112 degrees while moving and when we were stopped, the heat from the roadway drove it up to 124...  What a difference a few decades make in car design, no one we saw overheated...it is never an issue for our truck.  

We hadn't eaten since breakfast with Cliff (except for a nut bar from our stash in the truck before the presentation) and didn't want to stop until we got through the traffic issues so it was 5 p.m. before we ate anything.  We stopped at Denny's in Buttonwillow and actually had a pretty decent meal and ordered and served in a timely manner.  Good thing because we still had a LONG way to go and a short time to get there...not really, a short time, but that song always comes to mind when we say we have a long way to go.  Good ole Jerry Reed.

We stopped in Rio Vista for more sustenance, I wanted a BK mocha frappe...yummy, and also fuel for the truck and home bound again.  At 10:48 in Roseville it was still 86 degrees.  Our house being closed up was 90 inside...we opened all the windows AND flipped on the A/C while getting everything in, unpacked and ourselves showered and ready for bed.  I can't remember when we hit the feathers...12:30, 1:00 or somewhere thereabouts.

Us crazy kids!  Larry had to hit the road then this morning to get to work...woo hoo!  Momma needs a new pair of IKEA bookcases...hahahaha!


















THEN, today I got to meet my new friend, a rescue dog that I saw one of my Facebook friends had posted that was ready for adoption from the Animal hospital.  When I saw that face I just thought...there is my dog!  She was being fostered by a local Vet.  She being a 2 year old Chihuahua/Jack Russel terrier mix that someone had thrown from a moving car (the witness picked her up and took her to the animal hospital) and the picture I saw of her she had all four feet/legs bandaged up.  But she has been spayed, is in good health, has no bandages, is healed except she is still short a few toenails...hell of a way to get her nails cut...and the doctor and staff loved her to death so I knew I had a winner.  

She doesn't appear to have any horrible habits and has a cute personality so after going to the store to get doggie stuff I brought her home.  We are doing great together and she'll be bonded to me and settle in before Larry gets home, whenever that will be, and then she'll get used to him...and he to her as far as that goes.  She is really smart so with some training she is going to be a great friend.  She is just under ten pounds and not a yippy, whiny yapper.

It is hotter then crap here today....100's so we have taken quick little walks...I worry about her paws burning.  Oh, after some thought over names, my best friend Mary's husband saw the dogs picture I had emailed Mary while I was talking to her on the phone and he said, look Reina...la reina, the queen.  Which fit because I had thought earlier that she was going to be Queen of her domain once she settles in.  My sister suggested Roadie, because she was almost road kill...jeez...when she said roadie I thought Rhodie, like the shrub/flower.  We went over some more names and we came up with Grace or Gracie...which I may like more then Reina...so we'll see.  Maybe I'll just name her Spot.

http://hollywood.patch.com/articles/city-officials-gather-to-honor-officer-ian-campbell#photo-10977317
and from the L.A. Times:
http://soc.li/y794qKO







No comments: