Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Yay Gracie Dog!!!!

Yesterday morning I was sitting on one of my benches in the garden enjoying my new roses.  Out of the corner of my eye I noticed one of my nasturtium plants dancing.  I looked and I didn't see a lizard or a hummingbird so I figured it was that dastardly mole.  I called Gracie over to check out the situation.

She instantly went into what I call her stealth mode, she lifts and places each paw with delicate care.  I could tell she was listening.  Then she started digging and then she popped back and I saw the moles head, it had lunged at her.  I know how quick they are so I figured it would escape, but she snapped her snout back in there, grabbed ahold of it and ripped it out of the hole and flung it a couple of feet. The mole was screaming but she was happy and excited, she nosed and picked it up, shook it, dropped it, pawed at it.  But it was starting to get close to the soft dirt along one of the planter boxes from its previous travels and I knew if it got there it could potentially disappear.  So I ran and grabbed my garden trowel and gave it a couple of good whacks on the head.  

Gracie was a bit disappointed but she still did the dog thing with it for awhile.  It was a big mole, we hope she manages to catch the rest.  She got extra treats for her good hunting skills!  Yay Gracie!!!  Summer before last she routed out all the big nasty tomato horn worms, this year moles!  She's got a good nose and lots of patience.

I got these pictures with my phone camera...handy gadget.








No comments: