Thursday, April 15, 2010

Travel Day 4-15

I have been such a lazy blogger! I have a lot of pics from today and I’ll try to get some more on here later…Larry will be in his class all day on Friday so I might remember to actually get them posted.
We left Ukiah this morning at nine and the sun was out and it wasn’t raining….woo hoo!!! Going up Ridgewood Grade on 101 south of Willets we were lucky enough to see a small herd of the famous White Deer…they stand out like neon beacons against the green grass and I didn’t get their picture, I was too busy looking at them and they wouldn’t have looked like much anyway. As we hit the top of the grade we hit high fog and we didn’t get sunny skies again until we were practically to Fortuna.
The rivers looked like pea soup with all the mud in them from the storms and reflecting the green from the trees. I think out of all the places we have been across this country the north coast redwood forest has to be my favorite place…I love the remoteness, the timelessness and the stateliness of the towering trees. We honeymooned in the redwoods over thirty two years ago, have camped in them and traveled through many, many times…maybe someday we will retire there.
We traveled for four hours and 171 miles before arriving at our destination in Arcata at one o’clock. After we got all set up I made dinner…yummy burritos and then we drove out the county road past all the dairy farms to the beach. It was a little breezy and the sun was weak but we still had a nice stroll on the beach. The tide was high and we enjoyed just resting against a beautiful large piece of driftwood and watched the ocean do its thing. I came home with only a few rocks in my pocket this time.

No comments: