Saturday, January 05, 2008

Redecorating---Still 1-5-08

Now that the fun of shopping was over…back to work. Larry finished painting the master bedroom after we decided that our “accent wall” looked hideous. The other three walls of warm gold reflected on the café au lait and turned it a murky greenish tone…not what I was envisioning! So after a lot of debate…and I mean a lot; we thought about mixing the colors we had left together to see what we got, we thought about mixing the gold with white and we just decided we aren’t accent wall kind of people. It is now the color of the other 3 walls and it looks great.

Larry also painted the guest bedroom while I painted doors. I was going for a grayish blue and it looks mostly blue, but will still be great with the curtains and bedspread. I just don’t have luck matching up the color in my head with those silly paint chips. Larry and I never really thought we would have a blue room in this house…I have a strong aversion to it in decorating after all those years of the country blue and white geese look that was so popular a decade or two ago (and I didn’t embrace it then either). We don’t follow trends that have to constantly change to stay looking current. We opt for classic standards. Poor Larry, he is such a good sport because he is the one that does most of the work, he asked me if I wanted to change the color…after the whole room was painted…nope, I’m sure it’ll be great with the bed and furnishings in it. Carpet will help the whole look too!

Yesterday and today Larry started pulling up the carpet and pad. It saves us money if we do it ourselves and probably saves on our paint job too…smile. Going to the dump sounds like it could take up a better part of a morning, it is 18 miles away! Fortunately we thought ahead and didn’t just throw it out in the yard or we would be paying to dump water too. They charge us by weight and rain soaked carpet would be way, way heavy!

I swept the floors after Larry pulled out all the staples that holds the pad in place and what a pile of dirt that resides under our carpets!!! This is a picture of the pile I swept up in the master bedroom; after only about two and a half years…yuck.

It’s no wonder we feel like we are falling in holes walking across the room or the furniture gets a little high on one side…they do not clean the floors or fix holes before laying carpet. There are globs of joint compound all over the place and chunks out of the wafer board they used for the floor, not to mention the broken board we found in the bedroom, now I know why I felt like I was stepping into a little hole. They just throw these houses together so fast and have no thought for the people that will be living in them and having to deal with the covered up, left over messes and mistakes! And sadly “custom” doesn’t get you any more care.

The storm we had yesterday and last night was very windy, wet, snowy and cold, but we didn’t get hit as bad as Reno and California. Fernley had huge problems we heard with a flooding ditch and 200 homes were flooded (though I haven’t seen any local news so I didn’t confirm that), flash floods were a problem everywhere, but from all we’ve read and heard about Fallon, most bad weather tends to go around…we’ll see if it’s true! It is snowing again as I write. This pic I took last night as the snow was hitting and sticking to the window.



I took pictures of our water in the backyard, so hopefully we’ll remember to get it all draining correctly when we landscape this spring/summer. Most people think that high desert dirt is sandy and that it drains…not true, the water just puddles up, runs off and the dirt becomes this slippery, snotty sloposis. Larry tried to adjust the satellite dish after a rain a few days ago and his foot prints were testaments to his attempt to keep his balance as he trekked across the yard. They were large and rimmed with two inch walls of squishy mud. Nope, no pictures of that…didn’t think of it; though you can bet if he had come in covered in mud I would have grabbed up the camera!

No comments: