Sunday, October 14, 2007

Back in Quincy 10-14-07

We had a lovely overnighter with Ian. It rained most of the day so we played inside. He was asleep by 8 pm, which was unfortunate because he was awake at 6:15 the next morning. I heard “Gramma I wanna watch cartoons”, I pointed out it was still dark, but that wasn’t a problem for him…jeez. Later after Ian left we got all our shopping done at Walmart and Safeway.

This morning we hit the road at 8:45 and Will made points by dropping off a Venti Vanilla Decaf Latte on his way to work. It was foggy and in the 40’s when we left. I decided to drive. There wasn’t too much traffic and there are enough pull outs and passing lanes that if I annoyed people behind me they could pass…eventually. I’ve driven on the freeway, but it takes a bit to get comfortable with curvy roads. So I drove from the beginning of Blue Lake to about 10 miles west of Williams where we stopped for toast. I did fine and I kept my tail end on my side of the lines. I skunked us by driving over a dead skunk, I didn’t want to try swerving while I was getting the feel of pulling the trailer. I didn’t fall below the speed limit more than a few times AND I even pulled into and out of the gas station without crashing into anything.

It was a beautiful day, lots of sunshine and no wind. The colors of the trees were so pretty. These first pictures were taken east of Ukiah before I took the wheel. The bridges and tunnels are on highway 70 west of Quincy. Before we hit the Y west of Quincy we watched a bowling ball sized rock drop through the air from the hillside along the oncoming lane, I think we probably both thought a potty word (O.K., just I thought the potty word, Larry was just trying to figure out how to miss it) because we figured it was going to hit us, but Larry watched from his side view mirror as it landed and skidded to a stop just behind our trailer tires. It would have been ugly if it had hit us. I’m surprised they haven’t caged up that hillside like they have successfully done in other states, because rocks and the hillside falling through that area are common. The picture that looks like a wall of rock has a tunnel in it that we go through and the second picture shows the tunnel closer and another tunnel beyond that.

We landed at the Pioneer RV Park in Quincy at 2:30. Larry didn’t think we would get a satellite signal at the site they gave us, so he worked on that first and after trying the dish in about 4 different places we moved to another site. He was doubtful there, but found a spot where there weren’t trees in the way so we got set up. We think we’ll be here for a month unless Larry finishes what he’s here to do sooner. The fall colors up here are always gorgeous so you’ll probably get to see lots of pictures while we are out and about.

No comments: